Moku Hanga Contest
An invitation to artists...
Take flight with the Drachen Foundation and explore the tradition of Japanese woodblock printing and kite making. For many decades the Japanese tradition of woodblock printing was used in making multiple sails for kites.
We would love to have a contemporary collaboration of woodblock prints and kites at two upcoming events in Kyoto, Japan:
- The 3rd Annual Kyoto International Woodprint Association (KIWA) Exhibition, March 29-April 3, 2011
- The 1st Annual Moku Hanga Conference, June 7-13, 2011
USA Exhibition sites:
- Cullom Gallery, Seattle, date TBD
- Mighty Tieton Arts, Tieton, WA, date TBD
Best of show prizes:
- One cash prize of $300
- Two $100 gift certificates for merchandise from Hiromi Paper International and McClain's Printmaking
- Judges Ed Marquand of Marquand Books, Beth Cullom of Cullom Gallery, and Scott Skinner of the Drachen Foundation
- A selection of the best of kites will be included in a special Marquand Editions | Tieton edition for sale in 2011
- Join the international spirit of the woodblock print and kites!
- Make a sail of an original design using the media of woodblock printing.
- Finished size of the print must not be larger than 18 x 13 inches.
- Weight of paper should be lightweight, kozo, say 30- 45 gsm. Artists may like to find paper through Hiromi Paper International (www.hiromipaper.com) or McClain's Printmaking (www.imcclains.com).
- Print must be mailed to the Drachen Foundation in Seattle, Washington by January 15, 2011.
- Kite makers will spar your print and make it ready for exhibition.
You must agree to the following:
- All artists can submit one original print.
- All prints must not be larger than 18 x 13 inches.
- All prints must be done with a woodblock.
- All prints must be in to Drachen Seattle by January 15, 2011.
- Artists agree to donate their work for sale. Proceeds will cover the costs of the exhibitions and a donation to KIWA.
- Each artist must sign an artist agreement and it must be included with the sail you submit to Drachen Foundation.
For more information, contact Drachen Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kyoto International Woodprint Association, Kyoto, Japan
Cullom Gallery, Seattle, Washington
McClain's Printmaking, King City, Oregon
Hiromi Paper International, Los Angeles, California